Disability Management At Siyaya
Siyaya Skills Institute’s Disability Management Programme gives employers a way to integrate and understand the employment of people with disabilities into their environment. Our team of occupational therapists will provide the necessary support the company would need to create a co-operative and productive workplace.
Our process is designed to educate both employers and employees around the intricate nature of disability management within the workplace. Ultimately we aim through a coordinated effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities, taking into account individual needs, the work environment, time spent in the training environment, as well as utilize the service and expertise from the Disability Sector incorporating various strategies that can ensure success.
We offer a bouquet of services to clients that include:
Our team of occupational therapists are skilled and experienced:
- Performing functional assessments to determine the functional ability of an employee or potential employee.
- Guiding you and your employee on bespoke reasonable accommodation suggestions.
- Job analysis to determine the demands of a specific job and suitability for a candidate.
- Analysing the accessibility of the workplace and providing guidance and solutions when barriers are identified.
- Should the client wish to sponsor a learner with a disability, the above services form part of the contract with you.
Attitudinal barriers and stigma are the greatest barriers to inclusion of persons with disabilities in the workplace. Siyaya offers a range of sensitization seminars and workshops to create awareness and promote a culture of inclusion at your workplace.
Our experienced team of occupational therapists are able to address audience of all levels.
Contact us to discuss your needs and we will design a seminar tailor-made for you.
For clients doing a learnership through us, we engage with the job coach and line manager to whom our learner will report at the host site to discuss the learner’s reasonable accommodation requirements.
Our facilitators undergo regular sensitization and support training to facilitate the inclusion of learners with disabilities in our classrooms.
Siyaya offers you the opportunity to engage with our disability specialist on the required policies and necessary steps to take when employing persons with disabilities. We offer one-on-one sessions as well as one-day workshops to discuss best practice. We are also able to assist you to develop an inclusion strategy, moving from stigma to solution.
Our services to our learners are based on providing knowledge and skills, as well as equipping our learners with the necessary tools to be competitive in the open labour market. We believe in the power of continued support throughout the 12-month learnership.
The following is provided for our learners with disabilities:
- A functional assessment for each learner
- Bespoke reasonable accommodation suggestions related to the qualification the learner is on
- Continued mentoring
- A two-day World of Work soft skills programme
- Career guidance and counselling
- Emergency mentoring by our occupational therapists and referrals to other health care providers as required
In respect of:
- Analysing the workplace accessibility and assist in removing possible barriers for learner with disabilities in the workplace to achieve success at the end of the learnership program
- Matching the suitable candidate to the workplace
- Sensitise the Job coach and relevant staff
- Mentor and support the workplace learning process
- Encourage and support employment and assist with the retention of people with disabilities in the workplace
- This collaborative dual intervention addresses both the need of the Individual and the need of the Employer thus dispelling the fear of the unknown and preconceived perceptions through guidance and support to achieve the common objective of all concerned.
Mentoring forms an essential part of the Learnership Training and Assessment process. Disability learners undergo group and one-on-one mentoring. In addition, Siyaya provides monthly mentoring on-site once the learners are placed in the workplace.
Siyaya Skills Institute uses tried and tested methodology, at low risk with the sound experience of large corporate, supporting and developing niche experts in the market. We have worked together for nearly 8 years servicing the interests of stakeholders in the Disability, Corporate and SETA community. Siyaya Skills Institute’s facilities uphold the quality and safety requirements – confirmed by Disability Consultants – for their suitability regarding disability access.
- Recruiting people with disabilities in conjunction with disability organisations, government departments, communities and media outreach
- Conduct a Functional Assessment by a qualified Occupational Therapist to analyse and confirm the type of disability and potential integration opportunities
- Evaluate the candidate to determine Numeracy and Literacy status and level
- Select and guide the candidates for possible learnerships and skills interventions
- ensitise and induct the selected candidates into the learning intervention
- Mentor and support the candidate during training
- Encourage and support gainful employment on successful completion of the learning intervention